Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tootsies on Eleventh - Sacramento, CA


This is the place that made me decide to write a cheeseburger blog for Sacramento. After I have Mexican food for lunch I often come here to get a $5 Sugar-Free/Non-Fat Chocolate Shake to cleanse my palate. One afternoon I am standing inside reading all the signage, and the listing “Cheeseburger - $6” catches my eye. Dang! Does everybody sell cheeseburgers? Thinking about it, if you put a 1-block boundary around the Capitol: from 9th to 16th and from O st. to Kst. you can find over a dozen places that sell cheeseburgers. Thus my blog was born.

Tootsies, is a convenience store. They sell cold drinks, cigarettes, snacks and have a hidden “deli/kitchen” upstairs. You order at the counter, and then a few minutes later your sandwich comes sliding down this clear-plastic chute from big a hole in the ceiling. There is no seating inside, but on nice sunny days, the outside area has some of the best people watching in town. Sit there long enough you will see very mover and shaker in Sacramento walk by… except maybe the Governor, they drive him everywhere (even if it is a block away). Tootsies exterior was featured in an episode of TV’s “the Mentalist”, where I can say from personal up-close experience on “filming day” that Simon Baker is not a tall man. Anyhow…

So last Friday I had a late afternoon meeting with my boss. She was hungry, and offered to buy me a cheeseburger from Tootsies (I had skipped lunch to attend an earlier meeting). A few minutes later we are munching on the $6 Tootsies cheeseburger. The meat was ok, if a bit flavorless… My guess is they buy the “beef patty” pre-cooked and heat it up in a microwave since I did not see any grill marks or evidence of recent browning. The cheese was a single slice of American, and there was also fresh tomato, lettuce, pickles, and mayo. The bread was a standard sesame bun which had been pressed in some sort of panini grill for 30 seconds (probably to melt the cheese a bit). One a positive note the size of the burger was pretty good, and if the flavor matched I think the $6 cost would have been reasonable. But as is, it was overpriced even with that cool trip it takes down the slide.


Tootsies - Cheeseburger
Overall: 2-1/2 stars
Price: $6 for the CB. They were out of Fries, but they cost in the $2 range.
Variety: None.

Website/Menu: Yeah right!
Address: 1129 11th St Sacramento, CA 95814
Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1129+11th+St+95814

More Information:
Sacramento County Food Inspection Report: http://www.foodinspect.saccounty.net/ASP%20Pages/FacilityInfo.asp?FacID=FA0001026
Other Reviews:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tootsies-on-11th-sacramento

No comments:

Post a Comment